Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Pages

Thursday 4 December 2014

Is Privatisation our own fault?


Pain in the Neck

Woke feeling rather neglected the other morning as I realised my vertigo had taken hold again.  Having this affliction for many a year, I realised that it had been caused by getting my ears syringed the previous day.
Knowing that I needed some tablets to rectify this I called the Doctors to be told that I needed to book an appointment by calling at 8.00 the following morning.
The following morning I called the Doc's at 8.00 to be told all lines were busy,  I received the same message at 8.05, 8.10, and 8.15.  I eventually managed to get a message at 8.20 saying I was third in line and would be answered as soon as possible.  5 mins later I managed to speak to receptionist and asked for an appointment with the Doctor.  'Sorry', she said all appointments with the Doctors are taken but you can have one with a Nurse.
Luckily enough, the Nurse resolved my tablet problem without too much hassle.
But why was I not allowed to make an appointment the previous day, I asked the receptionist when I went to see the Nurse?  Her reply was that 'all appointments are made the same day, unless the Doctors ask for them because people book appointments and fail to turn up!'
Now maybe I'm looking at things though a simpletons eyes but how is this allowed to happen?  When I book an appointment with my Dentist I am expected to turn up or I will be charged for the inconvenience and loss of earnings to the Dentist.  If I book an appointment with a Chiropodist any other private healthcare treatment, and fail to turn up, I will be charged for the inconvenience.

National Health Service
  • This is a service that deals with over 1 million patients ever 36 hours
  • It's planned expenditure for 2013/14 is £113bn
  • It's running costs in Scotland are £10bn alone
  • It employs 150,000 Doctors
Statistically, 12 million appointments are missed each year at a cost to the Country of £163m a year.
A further 7m outpatient hospital appointments are missed at an average of £108.00 per person.
Is this the bottomless pit that we keep hearing about that needs to be continuously fed more funds to survive?
When will we start looking at the basic facts before it all gets privatised and ends up costing us all a lot more then at present?  Then who will we blame?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates